Since 1947, Arlingtonians have been calling the Arlington Mill neighborhood home. First at Park Glen and Magnolia Gardens (1947) and then expanding throughout the rest of the neighborhood. The neighborhood organized into a Civic Association in 1975 as the Columbia Heights West Civic Association. In 2015, the association, seeking to distinguish itself from other liked-named neighborhoods, voted to change its name to Arlington Mill.
Though the association and neighborhood's name has changed, its goals have not. The association continues to provide a forum in which neighbors can come together and discuss neighborhood issues, Arlington County services, Columbia Pike redevelopment as well as promoting neighborhood social activities. Residents are eligible to serve on committees or as commissioners on various Arlington County Government advisory groups including the Planning Commission, Transportation Commission, Neighborhood Conservation Advisory Committee, Form Based Code Working Group and the county-wide Facilities Study.
Membership to the Association is free. Any person residing in or owning property within the territorial limits of the Association is eligible for membership. Costs related to any activity of the Association will be paid by the members suggesting such activity or by donation.