Arlington Mill Civic Association
Arlington County, Virginia

Announcement: Next association meeting is Tuesday, May 17 at 7 p.m.

ELECTIONS are the primary focus of this upcoming meeting. Specifically we are looking for community-focused candidates for the positions of Vice President/Program Director, and Co-Membership Director.

The Old Arlington Mill

The Neighborhood

Since 1947, Arlingtonians have been calling the Arlington Mill neighborhood home. First at Park Glen and Magnolia Gardens (1947) and then expanding throughout the rest of the neighborhood. The neighborhood organized into a Civic Association in 1975 as the Columbia Heights West Civic Association. In 2015, the association, seeking to distinguish itself from other liked-named neighborhoods, voted to change its name to Arlington Mill.

Though the association and neighborhood's name has changed, its goals have not. The association continues to provide a forum in which neighbors can come together and discuss neighborhood issues, Arlington County services, Columbia Pike redevelopment as well as promoting neighborhood social activities. Residents are eligible to serve on committees or as commissioners on various Arlington County Government advisory groups including the Planning Commission, Transportation Commission, Neighborhood Conservation Advisory Committee, Form Based Code Working Group and the county-wide Facilities Study.

Membership to the Association is free. Any person residing in or owning property within the territorial limits of the Association is eligible for membership. Costs related to any activity of the Association will be paid by the members suggesting such activity or by donation.

Territorial Limits

North: 7th Road S.
South: Columbia Pike
East: S. Arlington Mill Drive
West: S. Carlin Springs Road

Neighborhood History

Tracts of land comprising the Arlington Mill neighborhood were acquired during the period 1724-1744. Forty-six percent of housing was constructed between 1947-1950—Magnolia Gardens and Park Glen (1947); Columbia Gardens and Columbia Heights (now Monterey) (1948); Greenbrier (1949), Tyroll Hills and the duplex houses (1950).

Photo: Civil War Collection. Special Collections,University of Maryland, Baltimore County.

The former Safeway grocery store, which became the Arlington Mill Community Center and High School Continuation program in 1995, was built in 1952, near where the Arlington Mill had stood.

By 1965, 94% of the neighborhood's housing had been built. Several apartment buildings converted to condominiums or cooperatives during the period 1972-1982. Some new housing was built in 1984 and 2004. Over the past 50 years the area has been transformed. It is now one of the most culturally and ethnically diverse neighborhoods in Arlington— the world in a zip code.

The neighborhood organized into a Civic Association in 1975 as the Columbia Heights West Civic Association. In 2015, the association, seeking to distinguish itself from other liked-named neighborhoods, voted to change its name to Arlington Mill.