A neighborhood may consist of streets, buildings and boundaries, but a community EXISTS because of its people. In Columbia Heights West we value our citizens and celebrate our community.
LIVE, WORK & PLAY
Colombia Heights West.
Columbia Heights West‘s (CHW) neighborhood boundaries include S. 7th Road (on the north), Columbia Pike (on the south), S. Arlington Mill Drive (on the east) and S. Carlin Springs Road (on the west).
Tracts of land comprising the CHW neighborhood were acquired during the period 1724-1744. Forty-six percent of CHW housing was constructed between 1947-1950—Magnolia Gardens and Park Glen (1947); Columbia Gardens and Columbia Heights (now Monterey) (1948); Greenbrier (1949), Tyroll Hills and the duplex houses (1950).
The former Safeway grocery store, which became the Arlington Mill Community Center and High School Continuation program in 1995, was built in 1952, near where the Arlington Mill had stood.
By 1965, 94% of CHW housing had been built. A number of apartment buildings converted to condominiums or cooperatives during the period 1972-1982. Some new housing was built in 1984 and 2004. Over the past 50 years the area has been transformed. It is now one of the most culturally and ethnically diverse neighborhoods in Arlington—a mini-United Nations.
Officers and Board Members
Stephen Finafrock &
All Board Officers and Reps
Form Based Code