Please check out the Thursday, March 17, 2016 Sun Gazette article
Arlington Public Schools is projecting a 26% increase in the number of students from today (SY 2015-16) to 10 Years from now (SY 2025-26) broken down as:
• 3,234 HS students
• 1,533 MS students
• 1,888 ES students
• 6,655 students total (26%)
APS has several projects with seats coming on-line in the near-to-mid term including
- additions at Abingdon, McKinley, and Ashlawn elementaries
- move HB Woodlawn and other programs to new school at Wilson Site (6th-12 grade) (2019)
- neighborhood middle school at renovated & addition Stratford (2019)
- new elementary school at TJ site to house Patrick Henry (2019)
- the move of the elementary Montessori program to the "old" Patrick Henry site (2019)
- making seats available at Drew elementary (2019)
And yet even with all of those projects, APS estimates a large number of seat deficits in 10 years, critically at the High School level.
I highly suggest scanning through the PowerPoint presentation from the School Board's first work session on the FY 2017-26 Capital Improvement Plan held March 14, 2016, to see the latest numbers and the suggestions.
Plan to attend the CIP Community Forum Wednesday, March 30, at Washington-Lee High School at 7pm -- and/or the last one in the series scheduled for Wednesday, Apr. 13 at the Thomas Jefferson MS Auditorium.
Please engage with the School Board members.